More residents in Newburn are being advised to leave their homes today as more rain is expected tomorrow.
People living in Mill Vale in Newburn, are advised to leave following concerns that rain forecast for Sunday could cause further flooding.
Earlier this week all remaining residents in Spencer Court, Newburn, were evacuated after persistent heavy rain caused the estate to flood - severely eroding the foundations of one of the five blocks of flats.
A statement by Newcastle City Council said "A second dene behind Mill Vale homes which has debris from an earlier flooding event could fill very quickly with water if a culvert becomes blocked, and so the decision to evacuate was taken by the emergency services and Newcastle City Council"
This decision to evacuate Mill Vale homes is an operational decision taken for safety reasons which I support.
In making this decision we have wanted to give people plenty of time to consider the advice and pack their belongings.
I would call on insurance companies to give residents every assistance that they can. If they do not, then the city council will work hard to lobby on residents’ behalf.”
- 51 homes are affected by the evacuation.
- The City Council has set up a rest centre for residents at Newburn Activity Centre.
- A free temporary bus service for residents is being provided by Nexus until normal services are resumed.
Residents on a Tyneside housing estate which will be partially demolished are no nearer finding out who is responsible for what's happened.
Residents in Newburn say that they still don't know what is happening to their homes as engineers prepare to dismantle a block of houses.
Residents at Spencer Court said a public meeting gave them no answers, and they still did not know whether the building would be demolished.