Labour's Andy McDonald has claimed a strong majority of 8,211 - just under half the number of votes tallied in Middlesbrough.
The by-election saw 16,866 votes cast from an electorate of 65,098.
The full results are as follows:
- Andy McDonald (Lab) 10,201 (60.48%, +14.60%)
- Richard Elvin (UKIP) 1,990 (11.80%, +8.10%)
- George Selmer (Lib Dems) 1,672 (9.91%, -10.00%)
- Ben Houchen (Cons) 1,063 (6.30%, -12.48%)
- Imdad Hussain (Peace) 1,060 (6.28%)
- Peter Foreman (BNP) 328 (1.94%, -3.90%)
- John Malcolm (TUSC) 277 (1.64%)
- Mark Heslehurst (ND) 275 (1.63%)
More top news
Remaining windy and mostly cloudy with further outbreaks of rain which will be persistent over the Pennines
Too often, he fails to reach his potential. But scoring at Newcastle three years running means he'll never buy a drink on Wearside again.
Very windy and mild with rain at times