Labour's Andy McDonald has claimed a strong majority of 8,211 - just under half the number of votes tallied in Middlesbrough.
The by-election saw 16,866 votes cast from an electorate of 65,098.
The full results are as follows:
- Andy McDonald (Lab) 10,201 (60.48%, +14.60%)
- Richard Elvin (UKIP) 1,990 (11.80%, +8.10%)
- George Selmer (Lib Dems) 1,672 (9.91%, -10.00%)
- Ben Houchen (Cons) 1,063 (6.30%, -12.48%)
- Imdad Hussain (Peace) 1,060 (6.28%)
- Peter Foreman (BNP) 328 (1.94%, -3.90%)
- John Malcolm (TUSC) 277 (1.64%)
- Mark Heslehurst (ND) 275 (1.63%)
More top news
Victorian North Yorkshire railway station celebrates 150 years of operation
Newcastle International Airport has welcomed the recommendation by the Airports Commission that a third runway should be built at Heathrow.
Six former British soldiers, including three from this region, have been told today that they will go on trial in India on weapons charges.