Labour's Andy McDonald has claimed a strong majority of 8,211 - just under half the number of votes tallied in Middlesbrough.
The by-election saw 16,866 votes cast from an electorate of 65,098.
The full results are as follows:
- Andy McDonald (Lab) 10,201 (60.48%, +14.60%)
- Richard Elvin (UKIP) 1,990 (11.80%, +8.10%)
- George Selmer (Lib Dems) 1,672 (9.91%, -10.00%)
- Ben Houchen (Cons) 1,063 (6.30%, -12.48%)
- Imdad Hussain (Peace) 1,060 (6.28%)
- Peter Foreman (BNP) 328 (1.94%, -3.90%)
- John Malcolm (TUSC) 277 (1.64%)
- Mark Heslehurst (ND) 275 (1.63%)
More top news
Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren has defended the club's decision not to recruit defenders in January.
Dozens of junior doctors from our region are expected to take part in a protest against proposed changes to their contracts.
The Sunderland boss takes his struggling side to Klopp's Liverpool determined to gain revenge a defeat at the Stadium of Light in December.