Labour's Andy McDonald has claimed a strong majority of 8,211 - just under half the number of votes tallied in Middlesbrough.
The by-election saw 16,866 votes cast from an electorate of 65,098.
The full results are as follows:
- Andy McDonald (Lab) 10,201 (60.48%, +14.60%)
- Richard Elvin (UKIP) 1,990 (11.80%, +8.10%)
- George Selmer (Lib Dems) 1,672 (9.91%, -10.00%)
- Ben Houchen (Cons) 1,063 (6.30%, -12.48%)
- Imdad Hussain (Peace) 1,060 (6.28%)
- Peter Foreman (BNP) 328 (1.94%, -3.90%)
- John Malcolm (TUSC) 277 (1.64%)
- Mark Heslehurst (ND) 275 (1.63%)
More top news
Teesside born singer-songwriter James Arthur is the latest artist to be confirmed for this year's Mouth of the Tyne Festival.
A Stockton man who threatened to kill Muslim people in an online rant after the London Bridge terror attacks has been jailed for 20 months.
South Shields-born Sir Ridley Scott paid tribute to his former teachers at Hartlepool College of Art in his acceptance speech.