British Transport Police are appealing for information after a bottle of hydrochloric acid was found on a Northern Rail train at Middlesbrough station shortly after 7 o'clock on Sunday evening.
The station was evacuated for a time and buses replaced train services.
4 fire appliances attended the incident along with 3 special appliances and 3 officers.It is believed the acid was in a soft drink bottle and caused the smell of burning when some of the liquid leaked from the container.
More top news
Asbestos fly tipping has doubled in the last nine months costing over £10,000 according to Northumberland County Council
Paramedics tried to save Parminder Dhinsa by performing open-heart surgery by the roadside but the mum-of-two later died in hospital
Terrified children were in the shop when a masked Peter Reynolds burst in brandishing what staff thought was a shotgun