Sunderland City Council have released the following statement in response to news that two bidders have pulled out of the race to build the Wear bridge in Sunderland.
The statement is as follows:
As we're in the procurement process, engaging with prospective contractors, we cannot discuss the project in detail.
Once a contractor is appointed later this year we'll be delighted to comment.
Before entering the procurement process, the council has said:
The New Wear Crossing as with any major project has been rigorously designed, costed, admired and backed within the industry and profession, including the Institution for Civil Engineers which presented the project with a CEEQUAL award.
More top news
Winds ease but sunny spells continue for late Sunday and early Monday. A more unseasonal, and unsettled, weather story by Tuesday
A car has crashed into Muslims attending Eid in Newcastle, injuring three adults and three children. Here's what we know so far:
Gentoo says none of the high rise blocks in Gentoo’s ownership have the same cladding as appears to be the case at Grenfell Tower.