Family hospitalised after County Durham blaze

A family - including a baby and a toddler - have been taken to hospital after a house fire in County Durham.

Fire crews were called to Walker Lane in Newton Aycliffe early this morning.

The house had filled with smoke from a fire in the kitchen.

Steve Wharton, from County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, spoke to ITV News about the importance of making sure every household has a working fire alarm.

Advertisement

Today's top stories