Advertisement

Fatal Carlton fire caused by electrical fault

A fire which killed an elderly couple in their home near Stockton-on-Tees was caused by an electrical fault, investigators have said.

William Volume, 88, and his wife Eileen, 89, died when a blaze ripped through their home in Carlton last week.

They had been married for more than 60 years and lived in the small village for over 50 of them.

Cleveland Police said the fire on Thursday was not being treated as suspicious and there will be no criminal investigation. A file has been passed to the coroner.

"This was a tragic accident caused by an electrical fault in the property."

– Phil Lancaster, director of community protection at Cleveland Fire Brigade