A family had to be rescued from their home in Ashington after a wheelie bin fire spread to their house in Northumberland.
Police believe that the fire spread through a window after a bin was set alight on Portia Street.
The family were taken to hospital in the early hours of the morning where they were treated for the effects of breathing in smoke.
Neighbouring houses were also evacuated as a precautionary measure.
More top news
A family from Sedgefield on holiday in Spain escaped the Barcelona terror attack after Ryan Davey found his pint was 'too warm to drink'
More strike dates have been confirmed by the RMT union as part of a dispute with Arriva Rail North over plans for driver-only trains.
A bus burst into flames in Chester-le-Street, County Durham, after its last passenger was dropped off. See dramatic mobile phone footage: