Six people were hurt in a gas explosion at a house, a senior fire officer said today. Two of them required hospital treatment after the blast at a semi-detached property in Regent Road, Jarrow, South Tyneside just before 8 am.
Fire crews, one which was on the scene within three minutes of the 999 call, arrived to find five injured people in the garden. A sixth casualty, thought to be a neighbour who had come to assist, was also hurt. All are believed to have burns, but are not thought to be seriously injured.
More top news
Firefighters are urging residents to be extra vigilant if using candles over the winter months and during the Hindu festival of Diwali.
A North York Moors project that aims to inspire families to love the great outdoors has received a special National Parks award.
The full programme of artworks, installations and events for Durham’s fifth Lumiere the UK’s largest light festival, have been revealed.