Leaving chip pans unattended is one of the most common causes of accidental house fires, according to Cleveland Fire Service.
Les Jones, head of community safety, warned Teesside students of the dangers of putting on chips for a midnight snack after a night out.
More top news
Plans have been revealed for a new Teesside restaurant, The Fork in the Road, which says it will offer catering jobs for ex-offenders
Scientists from Newcastle University have led a breakthrough in the most common form of fatal brain tumour.
The shuttle bus service between The Friargate Hospital in Northallerton and James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough ends today due to cuts.