College fined over girl's death

York College have been fined £175,000 over a health and safety breach which led to the death of Lydia Bishop in the playground of the its nursery.

View all 2 updates ›

'It's obvious fatal mistakes were made and Lydia was not properly cared for'

Lydia Bishop. Credit: North Yorkshire Police

The parents of a three-year-old girl who died at a nursery in York said they were 'disappointed' that the nursery did not admit their failings until the jury reached its verdict.

Lydia Bishop choked to death on her first full day at the York College nursery when she became tangled in a rope on an outdoor slide in September 2012.

Nursery worker Sophee Redhead was cleared of manslaughter. York College was today fined £175,000 for health and safety breaches.

In a statement, Rebecca Dick and Brad Bishop said: "We have re-lived those last moments of Lydia’s life in grave detail and heard evidence over and over surrounding the events of that day.

"For the last 17 months we felt terribly let down that throughout the process, no-one had accepted any responsibility for what happened to Lydia, which has made it even harder to deal with.

"It is obvious that fatal mistakes were made, both on that day and in the weeks and months leading up to it, and that Lydia was not properly cared for.

"We are disappointed that it is not until the jury reached their verdict that the college have finally admitted their failings and we acknowledge that they have finally apologised through their statement to the press.

“Although nothing could ever compensate for our tragic loss, we anticipated a more substantial penalty would be imposed on York College.

"We would like to take this opportunity to thank North Yorkshire Police and Robert Smith QC for their efforts in bringing the case to it’s conclusion.

"We feel that we have remained dignified throughout the last 17 months and respectfully request that the members of the press respect our privacy at this time.”

More top news