Joanne Milne was born profoundly deaf, but she is now able to hear for the first time, thanks to new cochlear implants.
Here she told us she did not mind being deaf until she began to lose her sight too, due to a rare condition called Usher's Syndrome.
More top news
There has been 14 cases of drug related overdoses in the last 24 hours, one of which resulted in the death of a 50-year-old man.
Balloons were released for teenage couple Chloe Rutherford and Liam Curry, while flowers have been laid for Philip Tron and Courtney Boyle.
33-year-old Shaun O'Connell, who lived in Throckley, died after a two vehicle collision on the A696 near Kirkwhelpington near Otterburn.