Two year old dies after being tangled in a blind cord

Sophie Allen Credit: Family photograph

A two-year-old girl accidentally hanged herself on her bedroom blinds.

Sophie Allen was playing a game with her brother Jayden, four.

Sophie Allen's parents discovered her on Easter Monday; she died in hospital in the early hours of Saturday.

Sophie Allen Credit: Family photograph

Her mum Danielle Hudson and dad Peter Allen, who also have another daughter, Amelia, four months, said they want to warn other parents about the danger blinds can pose to young children.

Sophie Allen Credit: Family photograph
Sophie Allen Credit: Family photograph

Sophie, who would have been three in December, was taken from their Sunderland home to Newcastle's RVI hospital and put into an induced coma. She had catastrophic brain damage and died in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Danielle said: "I went into the room and didn't immediately see Sophie. I asked where she was and Jayden said she was stuck and that's when I saw her hanging from the cord behind the curtain.

"I screamed and brought her down, she was limp and made a little gasp when I unravelled her.

"My husband Peter gave her CPR on the living room floor and I called the ambulance."

Advertisement

Today's top stories