The family of a teenager who died after a freak accident, when he fell onto a sunbed, have allowed his organs to be donated for transplant.
Grant Adams, 17, tripped and fell onto a glass tube on the sunbed, at his home in South Shields.
He suffered serious neck injuries, and died earlier this week, at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary.
It is not yet known how many lives could be saved as a result of his family's decision to donate his organs.
Nearly a third of people in the North East are currently on the organ donor register.
More top news
The 37-year-old woman was walking along a pathway at the end of Chiltern Gardens following a night out with family on Sunday November 29.
Temporary agreement reached with the government means the planned three-day strike has been called off
She was presented with a pastoral staff, the traditional bishop’s 'crozier' symbolising a shepherd’s care for a flock, at York Minster