An African warlord serving 50 years in a prison in County Durham is reportedly suing the UK Government for denying him the right to a family life.
Former Liberia President Charles Taylor, who is alleged to have eaten the hearts of enemies, says he is being kept from his wife and 15 children.
The 66-year-old was was convicted in 2012 of 11 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, including terrorism, murder, rape and using child soldiers during a civil war in Sierra Leone in the 1990s that left tens of thousands dead.
He was sentenced to to fifty years in prison and is thought to be serving his sentence at Frankland Prison in Durham.
Conservative MP Dominic Raab said: "If he's successful, it would turn British human rights laws into a laughing stock around the world."
More top news
A major sea rescue mission sees a man saved at Hendon. It is thought he had been fishing from the promenade.
New Metro fares in 2016 will mean a rise in the cost of daysavers, and a reduction in single fares
Shops across the North East and the rest of the UK have experienced a quieter start than predicted at today's Black Friday events.