An 18-year-old Harton Technology College student has died whilst on a trip of a lifetime in eastern Africa.
Jack Burden suffered a severe allergic reaction on Tuesday - day 19 of the 28 day trip.
True Adventures, the travel company with which the college were travelling said: "We can confirm that on July 22 one of its expedition members travelling in Tanzania from Harton Technology College had a fatal allergic reaction.
"Tragically, despite receiving immediate first aid and treatment with EpiPens, the 18-year old male could not be resuscitated."
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesman said: “We are aware of the death of a British national in Tanzania on July 22. We are providing consular assistance at this sad time.”
His friends and acquaintances took to social media to offer their condolences.
can't believe the news I've just woke up to. RIP Jack, thoughts are with his friends and family, and the rest of the team in Tanzania ?
Only just heard about jack burden, used to know him when we were kids and we'd sing busted all the time. Lovely lad. RIP
RIP Jack Burden, actually horrifying to hear the news. Harton loses another pupil. Rest in Peace?
More top news
Sandiford, a former legal secretary originally from Redcar, was convicted of drug smuggling offences and sentenced to death in 2013.
Durham Crown Court heard that one of the male victims suffered a triple-fractured jaw, while left lying in the gutter, unconscious.
Sunderland International Airshow got underway along the city’s seafront at Roker and Seaburn with a major flying programme from the RAF