Advertisement

Increase in pets taken to vet with e-cigarette poisoning

Pet owners are being warned about the dangers of e-cigarettes as the number of dogs being taken to vets with poisoning increases.

A 300% increase in e-cigarette poisoning in the last 12 months has been recorded by the Veterinary Poisons Information Service, while White Cross Vets have noticed a rise in the number of pets that they have had to treat.

Elton, an eight month old Zuchon puppy was one of the unlucky pets to swallow a e-cigarette capsule that was accidentally dropped on the floor.

He was rushed to the vets by his panic-stricken owner.

Emma Ronnay, who lives in Redcar, Cleveland, said: “I was at work when my house-mate rang to tell me what had happened. The nicotine capsule fell out of his hand and before he could pick it up Elton had grabbed it."

Vet Andrew Miller said: “Elton was lucky because he received treatment straight away. When nicotine is ingested there is a very rapid-onset of clinical signs, generally within 15 minutes to an hour, so if a dog is home alone and something like this happens the risks are far greater."