Live updates

Fathers for Justice protestor leaves Trip Advisor review of his Tyne Bridge stay

Simon Anderton reviewed his Tyne Bridge stay on Trip Advisor Credit: Fathers for Justice

Fathers for Justice protestor Simon Anderton who scaled the Tyne bridge on Father's Day has posted a review on Trip Advisor of his stay.

He posted the review titled “Self catering facility in the penthouse suite” on 26 June - five days into his stay on top of the bridge.

In it, Mr Anderton said he is currently halfway through a two-week stay on top of the iconic landmark.

The review has since been deleted but included a list of negatives and positives including 'no stairs to reach my room' and a lack of 'toilet facilities' although he did say he'd been 'improvising'.

In the list of positives he includes 'spectacular views over a beautiful city and a 'central location'.

The review ends with the 56-year-old saying: “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my first week here and hope the weather improves for week two.”

Mr Anderton, 56, who has five children, has said he has not seen his youngest two daughters for 14 years and sold his house to to fund his family court battle.

In previous protests he has scaled Westminster Abbey, spent 9 days on the roof of Metro Radio studios and occupied the Tyne Bridge for 3 days in 2008.

Mr Anderton has said he is dedicating this protest, which he says will be his last, to the memory of fellow activist Elaine Downes who lost her battle with cancer in 2012.

Climber injured at North Yorkshire beauty spot

Climbers at Brimham Rocks Credit: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Archive/Press Association Images

A climber has been taken to hospital after being injured in a fall at a North Yorkshire beauty spot.

A 43-year-old man fell several metres and suffered back injuries at Brimham Rocks, near Ripon on Friday.

He was treated by paramedics from the Yorkshire Ambulance Service before being stretched to a waiting road ambulance by members of the Upper Wharfedale Fell Rescue Team.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Regatta remembers the Battle of Waterloo

This year's Durham Regatta is celebrating the bi-centenary of the Battle of Waterloo.

Many soldiers who fought there, in 1815, attended the first regatta, held 19 years later in 1834. The men were given free food and ale and to mark the anniversary their relatives have been invited to attend this weekend's events.

Thousands of people have been at the regatta so far. It continues on Sunday.

The event draws rowers from across the UK and abroad and attracts around ten thousand spectators. This year is the one hundred and eighty second event.

The Chairman, Nigel van Zwanenberg, explained what happened when the Battle of Waterloo soldiers attended the first regatta.

Load more updates