The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
The best of the weather will be in the south but as darkness falls it will be a blustery night for everyone.
Justin Bieber just lost 3.5 million followers in what has been dubbed the "Instagram Rapture".
Watch Molly's shock as her high school sweetheart Kevin pops the question as they are getting their picture taken.