The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Some trusts are not charging overseas patients despite them not being entitled to free treatment, a new report has revealed.
The vice presidential candidate was travelling with his wife, daughter and several campaign advisers, but no one was injured.
They deny a 'sweetheart deal' - but a senior source told ITV News the government promised to support such firms in the event of Brexit.