The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Masked machete-wielding raiders stormed into a convenience store and threatened the assistant, before stealing cash, cigarettes and alcohol.
GPs have a public duty to tell authorities if a patient is driving against medical advice, new guidance from the GMC says.
The Government may be about to announce a new levy on council tax of up to 2% to replenish social care budgets.