The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
A list of commemorative events as the UK marks a decade to the day 52 were killed and hundreds injured in London terror attacks.
Larger stores could be allowed to open beyond the current six-hour limit on Sundays under a relaxation of rules in Wednesday's Budget.
IS is now attracting women and whole families as well as young men - but will any return to carry out another 7/7?