The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
High pressure kept largely settled on Friday with plenty of summer sunshine. Unfortunately it won't be hanging around this weekend.
The celebrity chef pledged to donate £2 from every pasta dish sold to the rebuilding efforts following the earthquake in Italy.
A 19 year-old from South East London has pleaded guilty after he soiled himself and revealed where he had hidden packets of heroin.