The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Controversial columnist Katie Hopkins will not face charges over a Twitter outburst that described Scottish people as "little sweaty jocks".
Tens of thousands of fans of Arsenal and Aston Villa have descended on Wembley Stadium today for the FA Cup Final.
We round up the best reaction on social media to the news that Rio Ferdinand is hanging up his boots