The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Mike Tindall has agreed a settlement with Express Newspapers over a story about his marriage to Zara Phillips.
The Met Office is warning of persistent heavy rainfall in western Scotland possibly leading to localised flooding.
The family of a World War One hero whose bravery won him a Military Cross have condemned thieves who stole the medal from a cathedral.