The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Nine people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a shopping centre in Munich - seven of whom were reportedly teenagers.
A plane powered purely by solar power has taken off from Egypt for the final leg of the first ever fuel-free flight around the world.
Animal rights group PETA seizes 'teachable moment', warning Pokémon Go users the game is akin to animal cruelty.