The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
The Royal Marine 'Marine A' is to be released on Friday according to the Justice For Marine A campaign group.
Another chilly day with cloudy skies and some rain sliding from north to south.
A bid by the Government to delay publishing its plans to tackle air pollution until after the election has failed at the High Court.