The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Drinking three to five cups of coffee a day could reduce the risk of clogged arteries and thus heart attacks, a study has found.
There are five million British expats across the globe. Many have a vested interest in May's election and many still have the right to vote.
Abba's Bjorn Ulvaeus has a boyish enthusiasm for the cashless society - and he has a challenge for ITV News viewers.