The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
A survey showing the number of 14-17 years olds who have tried the products has raised questions about their appeal to young people.
Top UK Advertising boss calls politicians to stop meddling in business and concentrate on creating wealth rather than spending cash
A touching note from a passenger thanking a pilot for getting her home safely in the wake of the Germanwings tragedy has gone viral.