The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Kim Kardashian has said she is "really happy" her step-father Bruce Jenner has found "inner peace" as he transitions to become a woman.
Bournemouth will effectively win promotion from the Championship to the Premier League if they beat Bolton at home on Monday.
Thousands have fled Burundi as violent protests against the president's decision to stand for a third term break out, leaving five dead.