The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Actor Michael Nyqvist, famed for starring in the original film adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, has died aged 56.
Some 13% of the average UK adult's salary is spent paying basic domestic bills, which is an average total of £524,464 over a lifetime.
The Crown Prosecution Service is to announce its decision later on whether individuals and organisations will face criminal charges.