The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
ITV News spoke to six Democrats and Republicans to get their views on the dramatic showdown between the two presidential hopefuls.
Nicolas Sarkozy would give Britain the chance to reverse the Brexit vote if he is elected president of France.
Wet and windy in the north tomorrow, bright and warm in the south.