The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
The Trump administration is greatly expanding the number of illegal immigrants in the country who are considered a priority for deportation.
The feature on the Facebook-owned app is strikingly similar to similar "story" elements on Instagram and Snapchat.
Merseyside Police are hunting convicted murderer Shaun Walmsley after two armed men helped him escape custody while on a hospital visit.