The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Moira Jones was brutally murdered by a Latvian convict in 2008. Her mother wants action to stop dangerous convicts at the border.
Two years after Bath spotted him playing for the British Army, Semesa Rokoduguni has been selected to play for England by Stuart Lancaster
Chewbacca was forced to step in to break up a fight between Mr Incredible and Batgirl.