The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Microsoft's new system Windows 10 has been met with approval after its disastrous predecessor but users have yet to be entirely convinced.
Alton Towers crash victim Leah Washington, who lost a leg as a result of the horrific incident, celebrated her 18th birthday last night.
American Football's first female coach, Jen Welter, is hoping to be an inspiration across the globe after being hired by Arizona Cardinals