The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
As the world remembers the Holocaust, an Auschwitz survivor says he remains "fearful" following the attack on a Jewish supermarket in Paris.
Police are hunting four men who smashed their way into a jewellers in broad daylight and threatened staff with sledgehammers.
ComRes polling agency chairman says the next 100 days will be be gruelling in the most uncertain General Election that anyone can remember.