The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
A survey has revealed most shoppers struggle to identify good supermarket offers, can you spot the best-value deals?
Pupils have been seen urinating in the playground at the end of the school day - apparently with the consent of their parents.
The Welsh government appeared to poke fun at Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt by offering a "warm welcome" to junior doctors working in England.