The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
As the party says it represents the working public, thousands of anti-austerity demonstrators show they don't quite see it that way.
Alex Salmond found himself in a stand-off with airline staff after booking on to a flight under the name James Kirk.
Romelu Lukaku equalised to ensure Everton earned a point after Danny Ings had given Liverpool the lead in a heated derby clash.