The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
A review has launched over concerns about the pregnancy test drug Primodos, vaginal mesh implants and anti-epilepsy drug sodium valproate.
The preacher was a counsellor to American presidents and become one of the most widely heard Christian evangelist in history.
An blast of cold air from the east could see the UK's coldest spell since 2013.