The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
A wanted man turned himself in after losing a bet he made with police on Facebook - along with promised doughnuts.
Terry Butcher said his son's life had been "tragically cut short" and described him as a "dedicated captain in the British Army".
Through the morning an area of rain will steadily track northeastwards across central England.