The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
In a wide-ranging Peston on Sunday interview, he said Parliament security needs reviewing and the PM's counter-terror strategy is flawed.
The star celebrated his 70th birthday with his family before attending a celebrity-filled bash held in his honour.
Douglas Carswell told ITV's Peston On Sunday he wanted to "support" the government as a "critical friend" but refused to rule out a return.