The main recommendations from the independent review include:
- Ensuring that all children in alternative provision continue to receive appropriate and challenging English and Maths teaching.
- Schools rather than local authorities should become responsible for commissioning alternative provision and PRU services.
- Schools should share all relevant information about the pupil they are sending to alternative provision with providers.
- The Department for Education should commission a payment by results trial for alternative provision.
- Schools should look at using money they currently spend on alternative provision to build up their capacity for managing pupils’ behaviour.
- Ofsted should challenge schools on their use of alternative provision.
- Ofsted should improve its intelligence gathering on poor practice
More top news
Chancellor George Osborne has announced a £500m investment for the Faslane naval base in Scotland, home of the UK's nuclear deterrent.
Five-times major winner Maria Sharapova has pulled out of the US Open tennis championships due to a leg injury.
Police are hunting for a mother who has disappeared with her 10-week-old baby.