The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
Mother of Bobby and Christi Shepherd says Thomas Cook apology was 'too little too late' as she calls for greater safety standards.
The Neverland ranch where pop star Michael Jackson lived until running into financial difficulties has been put up for sale.
A 43rd generation direct descendant of the Prophet Muhammad, the Prince has vowed to clean up Fifa's act.