The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
Patrick Berger has moved quickly to deny reports he was supposed to be on the tragic Germanwings flight from Barcelona to Dusseldorf.
An Australian couple got a Ed Sheeran-shaped surprise on their wedding day when the singer turned up to play at their reception.
Research by Swansea University showed one in 20 students had worked in the sex industry while studying for a degree.