The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
Emmerdale star Anthony Quinlan has revealed he split his trousers in front of the rest of the cast and crew during filming.
Home Secretary Theresa May and French counterpart Bernard Cazeneuve call on EU nations to tackle the root causes of the migrant crisis.
Downing Street is likely to confirm that the UK will fund extra security guards at the Eurotunnel perimeter.