The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
Judge Mindy Glazer was not expecting to be reunited with "the nicest kid in middle school" when Arthur Booth appeared in her court.
The WikiLeaks founder has been living in the Ecuadorian embassy in London for three years but claims his life is in danger.
Small shops in some parts of Greece are in danger of running out of coins and small change as cash reserves in the country begin to run low.