The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
The former WTA World No 1 doubles and No 2 singles champion died after a long battle with cancer.
Centrica, the owner of British Gas, says it will scrap standard gas and electricity tariffs for new customer.
If all pregnant women in the UK slept on their sides from week 27 onward, there would be a 3.7% decrease in stillbirth, a new study claims.