The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
An Australian grandfather has been hailed for his "fantastic survival skills" after keeping himself alive in the bush by eating ants.
A man who was never expected to be able to get out of a wheelchair has shared his first dance with his wife.
Sitting down is no worse for you than standing up as long as you take regular exercise, according to a study.