The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
After a quiet night, a fine, bright start tomorrow with the best of the sunshine through eastern counties.
After the shadow chancellor's stunt, Labour's Chuka Umunna tells ITV News: "I generally don't quote Communist leaders."
By 2020 millions of students who got a loan post-2012 will be paying more money back quicker.