The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
Billy Connolly has revealed how his close friend Robin Williams rang his to say goodbye just days before taking his own life.
The anti-war President is now in combat in two Middle Eastern countries.
Prince Harry received a great big hug from four-year-old Carson Hartley.