The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
The author of the beloved children's books series said it felt 'wonderful' to launch the stage play on the West End
Thousands of people marched in support of Scottish independence supporters marched through Glasgow.
Muslim leaders say they don't want to "taint" Islam by burying Adel Kermiche who slit the throat of 85-year-old priest Father Jacques Hamel.