The key proposals of the same-sex marriage consultation, released by the Home Office are:
- To enable same-sex couples to have a civil marriage. Only civil ceremonies in a register office or approved premises will be deemed legal.
- Civil partnership registrations on religious premises will continue as is currently possible on a voluntary basis for faith groups and with no religious content
- To make no changes to religious marriages. This will continue to only be legally possible between a man and a woman.
- To retain civil partnerships for same-sex couples and allow couples already in a civil partnership to convert this into a marriage.
- Individuals will, for the first time, be able legally to change their gender without having to end their marriage.
More top news
Marjorie and Michael Cawdery, both 83, are understood to have been stabbed to death in a killing their family called "incomprehensible".
Detectives have launched a murder investigation following the shooting in Brent, north west London on Friday night.
Hot and humid throughout the Bank Holiday Weekend.