The headline figures from the Office for National Statistics are:
- UK gross domestic product (GDP) in volume terms decreased by 0.3 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2011, revised from a decline of 0.2 per cent previously estimated
- For the year 2011, GDP in volume terms increased by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the production industries fell by 1.3 per cent, within which manufacturing fell by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the service industries fell by 0.1 per cent, while output of the construction industry fell by 0.2 per cent
- Household final consumption expenditure increased by 0.4 per cent in volume terms in the latest quarter
More top news
A severe storm has caused flash flooding in the popular Spanish holiday resort of Malaga.
NHS trusts in England reported a third-quarter year-end deficit of £886 million against a target year-end deficit of £580 million.
Former Leeds United starlet Elliot Kebbie is now starting his career once again, at the age of 22, after years of setbacks.