The headline figures from the Office for National Statistics are:
- UK gross domestic product (GDP) in volume terms decreased by 0.3 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2011, revised from a decline of 0.2 per cent previously estimated
- For the year 2011, GDP in volume terms increased by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the production industries fell by 1.3 per cent, within which manufacturing fell by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the service industries fell by 0.1 per cent, while output of the construction industry fell by 0.2 per cent
- Household final consumption expenditure increased by 0.4 per cent in volume terms in the latest quarter
More top news
The winds will remain strong tonight and in the north showers will continue, which may turn wintry over high ground.
A deadline for a deal on Iran's nuclear development came and went at talks in Switzerland but there is still hope.
An explorer in the Seychelles was chased down by a wild animal after disturbing a mating session... in potentially the slowest chase ever.