The headline figures from the Office for National Statistics are:
- UK gross domestic product (GDP) in volume terms decreased by 0.3 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2011, revised from a decline of 0.2 per cent previously estimated
- For the year 2011, GDP in volume terms increased by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the production industries fell by 1.3 per cent, within which manufacturing fell by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the service industries fell by 0.1 per cent, while output of the construction industry fell by 0.2 per cent
- Household final consumption expenditure increased by 0.4 per cent in volume terms in the latest quarter
More top news
Diane Abbott said Labour's position is to have 'less bureaucracy' in order to allow easy movement for EU migrants.
Two police officers were left in a critical condition after they were struck by a car as they were making their way back to their vehicle.
Six people have been killed and a seventh is critically injured after a multi-vehicle crash in Birmingham in the early hours of Sunday.