The headline figures from the Office for National Statistics are:
- UK gross domestic product (GDP) in volume terms decreased by 0.3 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2011, revised from a decline of 0.2 per cent previously estimated
- For the year 2011, GDP in volume terms increased by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the production industries fell by 1.3 per cent, within which manufacturing fell by 0.7 per cent
- Output of the service industries fell by 0.1 per cent, while output of the construction industry fell by 0.2 per cent
- Household final consumption expenditure increased by 0.4 per cent in volume terms in the latest quarter
More top news
A controversial plan to introduce visa checks in Melbourne has been cancelled following backlash from the city's community.
Former archbishop Jozef Wesolowski has died ahead of facing paedophilia charges in the Vatican.
The makers of the latest Star Wars film have released more teaser footage of the upcoming blockbuster.