- Ex-directory numbers: Getting phone numbers which are not included in the Phone Book
- Friends and family numbers: Getting BT Friends and Family chosen numbers (discounted calls to selected people)
- Criminal record checks: Criminal Records Checks carried out on the Police National Computer
- Vehicle registration: DVLA searches to get details from a number plate, such as the name and address of a driver
- Blags: Where information has been obtained from an organistation by deception
- Mobile Conversions: Getting personal details, such as a name and address, from a mobile number
- Landline Conversions: Getting personal details, such as a name and address, from a landline number
Our UK Bureau News Editor on how we worked out the amounts paid by newspapers for potentially illegal investigations
Singer Charlotte Church told ITV News the information held on her by some newspapers was "all encompassing of everybody I'd ever known".
A detailed look at what each newspaper paid private investigator Steve Whittamore for data about celebrities, politicians and the public.