- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed - Accused of planning the Sep 11 attacks and training the hijackers. Said in previous court hearing he wanted to plead guilty and would welcome martyrdom.
- Walid bin Attash - Accused of running an al-Qaeda camp in Afghanistan where he trained two of the Sep 11 hijackers.
- Ramzi Binalshibh - One-time roommate of suspected Sep 11 hijack ringleader Mohamed Atta in Hamburg, Germany. Accused of serving as a link between al-Qaeda leaders and the hijackers.
- Ali Abdul Aziz Ali - Accused of transferring money to US-based operatives and assisting nine hijackers on their way from Pakistan to US.
- Mustafa Ahmed al Hawsawi - Accused of providing the hijackers with money, Western clothing, travelers' checks and credit cards.
Why the trial of accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four suspected co-conspirators will be uncomfortable for the US.
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four suspected co-conspirators will stand trial in Guantanamo and, if convicted, could face the death penalty.