Large earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK, but not unknown. The British Geological Society has produced this interactive timeline. Here are some facts about earthquakes in the UK:
- The largest earthquake on record was in 1931 and had a magnitude of 6.1
- 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year
- Magnitude 4 earthquake happen roughly every two years
- Research suggests magnitude 6.5 is biggest earthquake possible
- The most damaging earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. 1,200 buildings suffered damage.
- To put it into perspective, Japan's recent tsunami was caused by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake