Large earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK, but not unknown. The British Geological Society has produced this interactive timeline. Here are some facts about earthquakes in the UK:
- The largest earthquake on record was in 1931 and had a magnitude of 6.1
- 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year
- Magnitude 4 earthquake happen roughly every two years
- Research suggests magnitude 6.5 is biggest earthquake possible
- The most damaging earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. 1,200 buildings suffered damage.
- To put it into perspective, Japan's recent tsunami was caused by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake
More top news
Huge busts of the Grand Tour presenting trio's heads have been spotted being wheeled through the US West Coast and later Sydney.
The mother of the accused had a heart attack after hearing graphic details of the bloody Charleston massacre.
Donald Trump has discussed the "long-standing relationship between Scotland and the United States" in a call with Nicola Sturgeon.