Large earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK, but not unknown. The British Geological Society has produced this interactive timeline. Here are some facts about earthquakes in the UK:
- The largest earthquake on record was in 1931 and had a magnitude of 6.1
- 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year
- Magnitude 4 earthquake happen roughly every two years
- Research suggests magnitude 6.5 is biggest earthquake possible
- The most damaging earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. 1,200 buildings suffered damage.
- To put it into perspective, Japan's recent tsunami was caused by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake
More top news
A whisky advert featuring David Beckham has been cleared by the advertising regulator.
Councils will have to cut money from services such as libraries because of the rising cost of caring for the elderly, a new report warns.
A Branislav Ivanovic header in extra-time ensured that Chelsea are through to the Capital One Cup Final after beating Liverpool