Large earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK, but not unknown. The British Geological Society has produced this interactive timeline. Here are some facts about earthquakes in the UK:
- The largest earthquake on record was in 1931 and had a magnitude of 6.1
- 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year
- Magnitude 4 earthquake happen roughly every two years
- Research suggests magnitude 6.5 is biggest earthquake possible
- The most damaging earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. 1,200 buildings suffered damage.
- To put it into perspective, Japan's recent tsunami was caused by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake
More top news
Airstrikes were launched into Syria and tanks reportedly sent in as Turkey targets militants threatening its border.
Owen Smith has pledged to block formal Brexit negotiations until the government offers a second referendum or calls a general election.
The former pin up said she couldn't open her eye for about four hours - but the scenes have been cut from the show.