Large earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK, but not unknown. The British Geological Society has produced this interactive timeline. Here are some facts about earthquakes in the UK:
- The largest earthquake on record was in 1931 and had a magnitude of 6.1
- 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year
- Magnitude 4 earthquake happen roughly every two years
- Research suggests magnitude 6.5 is biggest earthquake possible
- The most damaging earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. 1,200 buildings suffered damage.
- To put it into perspective, Japan's recent tsunami was caused by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake
More top news
A woman and man have been charged with murder after a baby was found unresponsive on a bus.
A "very dangerous" tattooed attacker who kidnapped a man before subjecting him to numerous assaults has been jailed for life.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge went salmon fishing in Canadian waters on the latest leg of their royal visit to the country.