Large earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK, but not unknown. The British Geological Society has produced this interactive timeline. Here are some facts about earthquakes in the UK:
- The largest earthquake on record was in 1931 and had a magnitude of 6.1
- 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year
- Magnitude 4 earthquake happen roughly every two years
- Research suggests magnitude 6.5 is biggest earthquake possible
- The most damaging earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. 1,200 buildings suffered damage.
- To put it into perspective, Japan's recent tsunami was caused by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake
More top news
Catalan has threatened to declare all-out independence if Spain does not agree to talks.
A wanted man turned himself in after losing a bet he made with police on Facebook - along with promised doughnuts.
Terry Butcher said his son's life had been "tragically cut short" and described him as a "dedicated captain in the British Army".