Large earthquakes are extremely rare in the UK, but not unknown. The British Geological Society has produced this interactive timeline. Here are some facts about earthquakes in the UK:
- The largest earthquake on record was in 1931 and had a magnitude of 6.1
- 20 to 30 earthquakes are felt by people each year
- Magnitude 4 earthquake happen roughly every two years
- Research suggests magnitude 6.5 is biggest earthquake possible
- The most damaging earthquake was in the Colchester area in 1884. 1,200 buildings suffered damage.
- To put it into perspective, Japan's recent tsunami was caused by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake
More top news
Ex-Spitfire pilot Allan Scott, 94, said he was told off by the Queen when he first met her in 1943 when she was just 16.
Last minute preparations are going on at the Church of St Mary Magdalene where Princess Charlotte will be christened.
Princess Charlotte is being christened on Sunday at Sandringham in Norfolk in only her second public appearance since she was born.