A new report says the government must base their plans to access private email and online correspondence on the following principles:
- There must be sufficient, sustainable cause
- There must be integrity of motive
- The methods must be proportionate and necessary
- There must be right authority, validated by external oversight
- It should be a last resort
- There must be reasonable prospect of success
More top news
It will be a frosty Christmas morning across the UK but any chance of snow is limited to the Scottish mountains.
Fainting dogs, dancing grooms and an attacker who picked on the wrong girl all featured highly in our most-read stories of the year.
Some dogs have been at the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home for more than a year. Can you make their Christmas and give them a new home?