A new report says the government must base their plans to access private email and online correspondence on the following principles:
- There must be sufficient, sustainable cause
- There must be integrity of motive
- The methods must be proportionate and necessary
- There must be right authority, validated by external oversight
- It should be a last resort
- There must be reasonable prospect of success
More top news
Photos from a historic day in Scotland's history as voters choose to remain part of the United Kingdom.
Is Manchester really more powerful than Wales and Northern Ireland? Find out how the union's four nations compare with England's regions.
Hollywood director J.J. Abrams has been declared the victor in a good-natured Twitter war with his friend and fellow director Zack Snyder.