A new report says the government must base their plans to access private email and online correspondence on the following principles:
- There must be sufficient, sustainable cause
- There must be integrity of motive
- The methods must be proportionate and necessary
- There must be right authority, validated by external oversight
- It should be a last resort
- There must be reasonable prospect of success
More top news
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg launched his election battlebus today with an attack on the Conservative Party.
The rain band will soon be clearing eastwards, but more showers will be affecting parts of the UK this afternoon.
David Cameron will stand down as Conservative leader ahead of the general election expected in 2020, Iain Duncan Smith said.