- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
The man who drove the van that ploughed into pedestrians killing 13 people was unharmed and is still on the run, police believe.
Donald Trump has said American culture is being "ripped apart" by efforts to remove Confederate memorials from parts of the country.
It's a bright start for many this morning, with a mixture of sunshine and showers across the UK.