- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
The dangerous Khumbu icefall has been rendered impassable after an avalanche, trapping climbers on Mt Everest. Here's what you need to know.
A company included in a letter supporting the Tory Party said one of its staff members had been wrongly listed as a signatory.
Customs officials in Thailand seize 3 tons of ivory hidden in tea leaf sacks from Kenya in the second-biggest bust in the country's history.