- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
Dave Lee Travis found guilty of indecent assault, not guilty of another assault and jury are unable to each a verdict on another charge.
Tom Bradby will play host to the leaders of the three main parties, as well as the biggest names from the worlds of arts and culture.
One of the greatest sporting events on earth gets underway this week as the Ryder Cup heads to Scotland, here's everything you need to know