- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
A young girl has become an internet sensation after pictures emerged of her being attacked by a goose.
A professional mixed martial arts fighter has died after being involved in a hit-and-run incident in Florida.
The paint appeared on almost every part of the car, saying: "HOPE SHE WAS WORTH IT!" and " CHEATER IT'S OVER".