- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
Sophie Lionnet’s devastated parents say the killers “do not deserve to live”.
The legal battle began in 2011.
The debate during eight weeks of campaigning has been divisive and the result should be known on Saturday.