- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
Rescue workers are at the site Sunday morning trying to cut open mangled coaches.
Despite chilly temperatures it will be a mostly dry day, and milder than yesterday.
The Sunday Times alleges a missile malfunctioned after launch during a routine test of the UK's nuclear deterrent last year.