- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
We found a tableau of desperation; vast crowds of people pushing and shoving their way forward, away from the continuing bombardment.
Cambridge Analytica played a key role in mapping behaviour of voters in the US election and was used during the EU referendum campaign.
A shock to the system