- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
Thousands of people are staying in temporary shelters following the big earthquake in Indonesia's Aceh province.
Russia appears to have snubbed a Japanese attempt at puppy-love diplomacy by declining a gift of a dog for President Vladimir Putin.
The self-declared white supremacist's was recorded telling an FBI agent "I went to that church in Charleston and I did it."