- The minds of patients with locked-in syndrome are perfectly healthy
- However the body is almost completely paralysed
- In Tony Nicklinson's case the condition began after he had a stroke
- It can also be caused by damage to nerve cells, diseases of the circulatory system and brain injury
- There is no standard treatment or cure
More top news
Cult internet star The Wealdstone Raider has thrown his football shirt into the ring in the battle for 2014's Official Christmas Number 1.
Iconic red box used by the former Prime Minister to carry documents during his days as Secretary of State sold for £158,500.
Temperatures will remain higher than what is usually expected in the day for December ahead of rain moving in from the west tonight.