- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
More top news
An investigation into a fatal tram crash in Croydon has found that a lack of emergency braking suggests the driver "lost awareness".
The newly appointed QC has worked on a number of high-profile terrorism cases, including successfully prosecuting the 21/7 bombers.
Paula Williamson has admitted marrying notorious prisoner Charles Bronson is a "huge risk", but insists the relationship is the "real deal".