- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
More top news
A High Court judge ruled he was entitled to "more than nominal" damages from police over a wrongful arrest he says destroyed his career.
The ex-Holby City star, who had been visiting Barcelona, detailed the events of the attack on Twitter as they unfolded.
Searches are continuing for victims, with around 600 people still missing and 3,000 left homeless after the disaster.