- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
More top news
The Australian government said Russia's participation in the Rio 2016 Games risks damaging the reputation of the Olympic movement.
PM Malcolm Turnbull said people convicted of terrorism-related charges would be held indefinitely if they pose an ongoing threat to society.
Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz stands down after leaked emails show party actively favoured Hillary Clinton.