- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
More top news
Paid parental leave is to be extended to working grandparents under plans announced by George Osborne.
Tickets for next year's Glastonbury Festival in Somerset have sold out in just over thirty minutes.
The Rugby Football Union has ruled out any "hasty reaction" after England were knocked out of the Rugby World Cup by Australia.