- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
More top news
Health experts warn that over-cooking starchy foods can lead to formation of acrylamide, a substance that may increase the risk of cancer.
South Korean tech giant says faulty batteries were the sole cause of the fires that caused it to pull the Galaxy Note 7 from the shelves.
Theresa May will is set to launch her new industrial strategy as she chairs her first regional cabinet meeting in the northwest.