- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
More top news
The Tory party's "anti-immigration rhetoric" could cost MPs key marginal seats in the forthcoming general election, a new report says.
Two pilots have broken the world distance record for a flight in a helium balloon after soaring over the Pacific Ocean.
The number of terminal cancer patients who die in hospital rather than at home is placing "unnecessary strain" on the NHS, a report says.