- New GCSE English syllabuses introduced with pupils sitting an exam and submitting two pieces of coursework (so-called 'controlled assessment') done under strict classroom supervision
- January: First students take GCSE exams via controlled assesment
- June: Majority of students complete GCSE English exams
- August 23: Proportion of GCSEs awarded grade C or above for the first time in history
- August 24: Teachers union urges Michael Gove to establish independent inquiry
- August 28: ASCL calls for students marked down in June to have grades reissued and based on January grade boundaries.
- August 31: Ofqual publishes report saying January's exams were "graded generously" and that June exams were properly graded.
- September 7: Schools unite to demand an inquiry