Since coming to power the Government has taken active steps to protect and support women, girls and men facing domestic violence. These include:
- £40million of funding up to 2015 for specialist local domestic and sexual violence support services.
- £225,000 of funding will be shared among 12 organisations tackling and developing domestic violence services for men.
- Forcing someone to marry will become a criminal offence in England and Wales.
- A pilot scheme allowing police in some parts of the country to disclose to the public information about previous violent offending by a new or existing partner.
- The creation, under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, of two new stalking offences and additional police powers to investigate these offences.
- Work to prevent girls becoming victims of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).