Al-Shabab is an Islamist militant group that has been active Somalia since the early 1990s. Here are some facts about the group:
- Al-Shabab means 'youth' or 'boys' in Arabic
- Ideological roots in the conservative Wahhabi branch of Sunni Islam. Aims to establish an Islamic state in Somalia.
- Took control of large parts of south and central Somalia after 1991 coup
- Behind several terrorist attacks outside Somalia, including one that killed 79 people at a football match in Uganda in 2010
- Formally merged with al-Qaeda in February
- Has been in retreat since August 2011
- Kismayo is a vital source of income as it exports charcoal from the port
More top news
Christian bakers ruled to have discriminated against a gay man by refusing to make a pro-gay marriage cake have lost their appeal.
An eight-year-old who had his hands and legs amputated after contracting meningitis has taken up martial arts and is excelling at the sport.
Researchers found "immediate and measurable alterations in brain function" for at least 24 hours after heading a ball.