Al-Shabab is an Islamist militant group that has been active Somalia since the early 1990s. Here are some facts about the group:
- Al-Shabab means 'youth' or 'boys' in Arabic
- Ideological roots in the conservative Wahhabi branch of Sunni Islam. Aims to establish an Islamic state in Somalia.
- Took control of large parts of south and central Somalia after 1991 coup
- Behind several terrorist attacks outside Somalia, including one that killed 79 people at a football match in Uganda in 2010
- Formally merged with al-Qaeda in February
- Has been in retreat since August 2011
- Kismayo is a vital source of income as it exports charcoal from the port
More top news
Barclays has earmarked an additional £700 million to meet payment protection insurance (PPI) compensation claims, it has been announced.
The new communications director attacked other members of Trump's senior team, and threatened to fire his whole department over 'leaks'.
Friday will see sunny spells across Northern Ireland and Scotland, but also some scattered showers turning heavier.