Al-Shabab is an Islamist militant group that has been active Somalia since the early 1990s. Here are some facts about the group:
- Al-Shabab means 'youth' or 'boys' in Arabic
- Ideological roots in the conservative Wahhabi branch of Sunni Islam. Aims to establish an Islamic state in Somalia.
- Took control of large parts of south and central Somalia after 1991 coup
- Behind several terrorist attacks outside Somalia, including one that killed 79 people at a football match in Uganda in 2010
- Formally merged with al-Qaeda in February
- Has been in retreat since August 2011
- Kismayo is a vital source of income as it exports charcoal from the port
More top news
The US president made the pledge as he addressed his plans to respond to Russia and North Korea following recent missile launches.
Leicester City have sacked manager Claudio Ranieri less than nine months after he guided them to a historic Premier League title
Around 40 people were in the sports hall at Southwood Middle School in Milton Keynes when the 8ft by 5ft ceiling caved in.