Al-Shabab is an Islamist militant group that has been active Somalia since the early 1990s. Here are some facts about the group:
- Al-Shabab means 'youth' or 'boys' in Arabic
- Ideological roots in the conservative Wahhabi branch of Sunni Islam. Aims to establish an Islamic state in Somalia.
- Took control of large parts of south and central Somalia after 1991 coup
- Behind several terrorist attacks outside Somalia, including one that killed 79 people at a football match in Uganda in 2010
- Formally merged with al-Qaeda in February
- Has been in retreat since August 2011
- Kismayo is a vital source of income as it exports charcoal from the port
More top news
The Pentagon sent a group of military planes just off the state's coast in a show of force.
Iran says it has successfully tested a new medium-range missile, bringing condemnation from Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson..
At least 305 people are now confirmed to have died in the huge tremor, while searches continue for survivors trapped in rubble.