Al-Shabab is an Islamist militant group that has been active Somalia since the early 1990s. Here are some facts about the group:
- Al-Shabab means 'youth' or 'boys' in Arabic
- Ideological roots in the conservative Wahhabi branch of Sunni Islam. Aims to establish an Islamic state in Somalia.
- Took control of large parts of south and central Somalia after 1991 coup
- Behind several terrorist attacks outside Somalia, including one that killed 79 people at a football match in Uganda in 2010
- Formally merged with al-Qaeda in February
- Has been in retreat since August 2011
- Kismayo is a vital source of income as it exports charcoal from the port
More top news
The forecast is generally calm, quiet and dry as an area of cloud gives way to the south east and moves off to the near continent.
Artists have retold the stories of "imponderable brutality and evil" in works created to remember the Holocaust.
ITV News joins 85-year-old Holocaust survivor Zigi Shipper on his emotional return to the Auschwitz death camp.