- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
The Labour leader said that thousands of children would spend Christmas without a home as he pressed her over the housing crisis.
Comedian Peter Kay has cancelled his upcoming tour, citing "unforeseen family circumstances".
Female inmates compete to create the most fabulous cell in a contest designed to ease the pain of being away from family at the holidays.