- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
Cyber stalkers and scammers rely on careless posts and lax security. Here are the key ways to keep your personal information private.
After years of stalking, Kerry Daynes found her pet dead in a twisted position and the message "Jill Dando" scrawled on her home fence.
The issue has been an elephant in the room for many years, and it's always been considered distasteful to debate the matter.