- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
Weather set to stay cool and cloudy tomorrow
Europe's asylum, immigration and freedom of movement laws "wholly inadequate" to deal with arrival of hundreds of thousands of people.
A passenger who helped foil a suspected terror attack on a high-speed train in France is to appear on US show "Dancing With The Stars".