- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
ITV News Central has obtained exclusive footage of the moment a building collapsed in Nepal causing chaos in the streets surrounding it.
A Liberal Democrat election candidate has been suspended by the party over allegations that he falsified his council nomination papers.
A Conservative local election candidate who said she could never support Ed Miliband "the Jew" has been suspended by the party.