- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
Tory candidate Caroline Johnson wins vote ahead of Ukip in poll triggered by the resignation of Conservative MP Stephen Phillips.
New test could help doctors identify the signs of lung cancer up to five years before the disease shows up on traditional scans.
The Police Federation is pushing for a wider rollout of Tasers , and a new model, the X2, is awaiting Home Office approval.