- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
As Jeremy Corbyn prepares his speech for the last day of the Labour conference, he can reflect on tightening his grip on the party.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were snubbed for a second time in two days on their visit to Canada by a prominent First Nations leader.
Scientists found their skin cells have a built-in protection, meaning they are more likely to be blessed with long-lasting youthfulness.