- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
Some rain in the north. Very warm sunshine in the south
Blind Date and Surprise Surprise star Cilla Black,72, has died, according to reports.
Jericho the lion, who it had been claimed was shot dead yesterday by poachers in Zimbabwe, is "alive and well", conservationists have said.