- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
England have beaten Australia 44-40 in the third Test in Sydney to seal a 3-0 series victory.
France's foreign minister called for the UK to trigger the exit clause after a meeting with counterparts of the six EU founding states.
He said he will stand for leader again if a fresh contest is held amid growing calls for him to stand down within the party.