- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
We would be very keen to hear from anyone who has served on a jury and has had or is concerned about the impact it had on them.
Snapchat's stock market value sank by almost £1bn after the reality star tweeted she had stopped using the app.
Donald Trump has repeated calls to arm staff at American schools, saying a teacher "would have shot the hell out of" the Florida gunman.