- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
Stars have vented their frustration over Sony's decision, with Rob Lowe comparing it to Neville Chamberlain caving in to Hitler.
Derby was unable to play with other dogs after being born with severely deformed front legs - but can now run freely.
The judge said the 14-year-old had been subject to a great injustice. He was executed for the murder of two little girls in 1944.