- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
The boy was reportedly only discovered missing when the bus returned to the school and the boy's mum was waiting for him.
A new species of ancient human that lived nearly four million years ago has been unearthed by a team of scientists in Ethiopia.
Fifa is facing a battle to keep World Cup sponsorship deals after several senior officials were arrested on suspicion of corruption.