- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
It's another mild day in the north and west, but cold in the south and central England.
The singer, songwriter and rhythm guitarist for the British rock'n'roll band died on Christmas Eve aged 68.
During a five-day period last week, two police forces stopped 151 motorists for various offences on the M3, M4, M40, M27 and A34.