- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
Through the day, most of the cloud should break up to leave fine conditions for many with spells of sunshine.
The Eiffel Tower in Paris was plunged into darkness, with the Burj Khalifa in Dubia emblazoned with the Union Jack.
The major party leaders' campaigns for the General Election will remain suspended on Wednesday following the Manchester terror attack.