- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
More than 1,400 babies have been born medically obese - weighing 9lbs 15oz or over - in the past four years, figures reveal.
Philippe Coutinho replicated his winner from last season's 3-2 victory over Manchester City with a wonderful curling strike.
A secret refuge has been discovered which protected the flightless birds from the brunt on the cold allowing them to survive.