- Preparation for the ward round should include a pre-round briefing.
- Consultant-led ward rounds should be conducted in the morning to facilitate timely completion of tasks during the working day.
- A nurse should be present at every bedside as part of the ward round.
- Patient, carers and relatives should be provided with a summary sheet clearly presenting information discussed in the ward round.
- Patients with dementia and learning disabilities should be supported as far as possible to make decisions about their care.
- Patients records should be kept centrally to promote effective communication and team working.
- Ward-round teams should utilise locally adapted checklists to reduce omissions, improve patient safety and strengthen multidisciplinary communication.
More top news
An Olympic silver-medallist at London 2012 has won gold after the 'winner' was stripped of his award.
Five migrants have died and more than 500 rescued after an overcrowded fishing boat capsized off the coast of Libya, the Italian navy said.
A Muslim Bataclan survivor has critised The Eagles of Death Metal frontman for saying the attacks were part of a Muslim conspiracy.