An 18-year-old woman from Lancashire has had her stomach removed after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.
The young woman who remains seriously ill in hospital, had been drinking at a bar in Lancaster on Thursday night. The drink also contained Jaegermeister.
A Lancashire Police spokesperson said:
The girl, who is from Heysham, had been out with friends on Thursday evening and reported feeling breathless after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen. She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm. There she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove her stomach.
The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.
The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen.
For more on this story, visit ITV Granada.
More top news
Humberside Police rebutted a newspaper's critical article, saying its officers had worked 'long, hard hours during the event'.
It comes as households already face a triple-whammy from airfares, fuel and electricity prices.
The business secretary called the move a 'positive step forward' after the US-imposed tariff sparked fears over jobs in Northern Ireland.