Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez faces a battle to retain power in Sunday's tightly contested election battle against Henrique Capriles. Here are some facts about Chavez's opponent:
- A 40-year-old law graduate, currently governor of Venezuela's second-most populous state, Miranda.
- Became Venezuela's youngest legislator at the age of 26, then won the mayorship of a Caracas municipality.
- His maternal grandparents, the Radonskis, left Poland for Venezuela to flee anti-Semitism.
- A keen basketball player and sports lover, he downs Red Bulls to keep his energy up.
- Imprisoned for four months on charges of fomenting a protest at the Cuban Embassy in 2002; acquitted at trial.
- If elected, says he wants to copy Brazil's 'modern left' model of economic and social policies.
- Opposes more nationalisations but proposes keeping the best of Chavez's much-vaunted "Missions" for the poor.
- Has made education his flagship policy, pointing to a strong record of opening new schools in Miranda.
More top news
The full list of winners of the 89th Academy Awards in Hollywood.
The Oscars was plunged into chaos as La La land was mistakenly announced as the best picture, the actual winner was Moonlight.
The tourists had no idea they were about to be dropped off at the star-studded ceremony to meet A-listers.