Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez faces a battle to retain power in Sunday's tightly contested election battle against Henrique Capriles. Here are some facts about Chavez's opponent:
- A 40-year-old law graduate, currently governor of Venezuela's second-most populous state, Miranda.
- Became Venezuela's youngest legislator at the age of 26, then won the mayorship of a Caracas municipality.
- His maternal grandparents, the Radonskis, left Poland for Venezuela to flee anti-Semitism.
- A keen basketball player and sports lover, he downs Red Bulls to keep his energy up.
- Imprisoned for four months on charges of fomenting a protest at the Cuban Embassy in 2002; acquitted at trial.
- If elected, says he wants to copy Brazil's 'modern left' model of economic and social policies.
- Opposes more nationalisations but proposes keeping the best of Chavez's much-vaunted "Missions" for the poor.
- Has made education his flagship policy, pointing to a strong record of opening new schools in Miranda.
More top news
Pino Pagliara told ITV News a lucrative salary meant he told undercover reporters posing as football investors "what they wanted to hear".
She was best known for playing Ethel Meaker in the children's show Rentaghost and Grandma on stage in Billy Elliot the musical.
A rapist who filmed himself carrying out depraved sex acts on a young girl said to be under the age of 13, has been jailed for 16 years.