Lancaster's licensing chief has said he tried the cocktail containing liquid nitrogen that a teenager drank before needing an operation to remove her stomach.
Councillor Paul Aitchison, chairman of Lancaster City Council's Licensing Act Committee, said he went to Oscar's wine bar a few months ago and tried the same Nitro Jagermeister cocktail that Gaby Scanlon, 18, drank on Thursday night.
Mr Aitchison, 20, said:
I heard about this story this morning and I was quite shocked because I have actually tried it myself.
It was quite scary to think that it could have possibly happened to me.
I thought it sounded interesting, that's probably one of the draws.
You assume the drinks served in licensed premises will be safe. I didn't have an adverse reaction to it.
Unfortunately Gaby has and my heart goes out to her and I hope that she gets better.
More top news
PM Malcolm Turnbull said people convicted of terrorism-related charges would be held indefinitely if they pose an ongoing threat to society.
Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz stands down after leaked emails show party actively favoured Hillary Clinton.
The pair, believed to be the boy's mother and stepfather, were held after the five-year-old's lifeless body was discovered in a lagoon.