- Researchers in Denmark examined 1,000 women who began the study when they were aged between 45 and 58.
- Half of the group were given HRT which was started early after the menopause and the control group received no treatment.
- The study found that after 10 years, 33 women in the control group had died or suffered heart failure or a heart attack compared with just 16 women who were given HRT.
- 36 women in the HRT group were treated for cancer compared with 39 in the control group
- 10 women in the HRT group were treated for breast cancer compared with 17 in the control group.
- Eleven women in the HRT group were treated for stroke compared with 14 in the control group.
More top news
Loudspeakers at the border have been switched off as a gesture of goodwill ahead of a meeting between the leaders of North and South Korea.
Liam Colgan vanished on February 10 while celebrating his brother’s stag-do in the German city.
Salah Abdeslam and an accomplice were handed the maximum sentence permissible over the incident in March 2016.