- Researchers in Denmark examined 1,000 women who began the study when they were aged between 45 and 58.
- Half of the group were given HRT which was started early after the menopause and the control group received no treatment.
- The study found that after 10 years, 33 women in the control group had died or suffered heart failure or a heart attack compared with just 16 women who were given HRT.
- 36 women in the HRT group were treated for cancer compared with 39 in the control group
- 10 women in the HRT group were treated for breast cancer compared with 17 in the control group.
- Eleven women in the HRT group were treated for stroke compared with 14 in the control group.
More top news
Southern areas windy and very mild.
Nobel-prize-winning schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai has said she is a proud Brummie, as a new portrait of her was unveiled in her adopted home.
The Filipino girl group lost out to Lauren Murray in the sing off after receiving the lowest number of votes.