- Researchers in Denmark examined 1,000 women who began the study when they were aged between 45 and 58.
- Half of the group were given HRT which was started early after the menopause and the control group received no treatment.
- The study found that after 10 years, 33 women in the control group had died or suffered heart failure or a heart attack compared with just 16 women who were given HRT.
- 36 women in the HRT group were treated for cancer compared with 39 in the control group
- 10 women in the HRT group were treated for breast cancer compared with 17 in the control group.
- Eleven women in the HRT group were treated for stroke compared with 14 in the control group.
More top news
A Conservative MP has denied favouriting an explicit pornographic image on Twitter.
Speaking to ITV News Vince Cable ruled out a further sale of the remaining taxpayer stake in Royal Mail before the general election.
Expectations are high for David Cameron's immigration speech tomorrow in light of new migration figures showing an increase in UK migration