- Researchers in Denmark examined 1,000 women who began the study when they were aged between 45 and 58.
- Half of the group were given HRT which was started early after the menopause and the control group received no treatment.
- The study found that after 10 years, 33 women in the control group had died or suffered heart failure or a heart attack compared with just 16 women who were given HRT.
- 36 women in the HRT group were treated for cancer compared with 39 in the control group
- 10 women in the HRT group were treated for breast cancer compared with 17 in the control group.
- Eleven women in the HRT group were treated for stroke compared with 14 in the control group.
More top news
The president is at the centre of two sporting rows, with NFL players angry at his comments and NBA stars considering a White House snub.
The children - who are two of three triplets - were found not breathing at a property in Bridgend, Wales.
Jeremy Corbyn hopes his efforts to give Labour members more power over the party will help him sweep into Downing Street.