- Researchers in Denmark examined 1,000 women who began the study when they were aged between 45 and 58.
- Half of the group were given HRT which was started early after the menopause and the control group received no treatment.
- The study found that after 10 years, 33 women in the control group had died or suffered heart failure or a heart attack compared with just 16 women who were given HRT.
- 36 women in the HRT group were treated for cancer compared with 39 in the control group
- 10 women in the HRT group were treated for breast cancer compared with 17 in the control group.
- Eleven women in the HRT group were treated for stroke compared with 14 in the control group.
More top news
A town centre water fountain is under threat after repeated attacks by 'bubble vandals', costing hundreds of pounds to repair and clean.
10-month-old Melda Ilgin was on the way to Greece by the time the coast guard was called.
‘It could have been us’ was a phrase I heard repeated many times today as British holidaymakers gathered in Sousse to remember the victims.