- Researchers in Denmark examined 1,000 women who began the study when they were aged between 45 and 58.
- Half of the group were given HRT which was started early after the menopause and the control group received no treatment.
- The study found that after 10 years, 33 women in the control group had died or suffered heart failure or a heart attack compared with just 16 women who were given HRT.
- 36 women in the HRT group were treated for cancer compared with 39 in the control group
- 10 women in the HRT group were treated for breast cancer compared with 17 in the control group.
- Eleven women in the HRT group were treated for stroke compared with 14 in the control group.
More top news
Thirty facts about Prince Harry to celebrate his coming of age.
Django Unchained actress Danièle Watts was handcuffed by police after she was seen "showing affection" to her partner, NBC News reported.
A US news anchor has told viewers he only has four to six months to live on air, after he was informed that his brain tumour was inoperable.