- Researchers in Denmark examined 1,000 women who began the study when they were aged between 45 and 58.
- Half of the group were given HRT which was started early after the menopause and the control group received no treatment.
- The study found that after 10 years, 33 women in the control group had died or suffered heart failure or a heart attack compared with just 16 women who were given HRT.
- 36 women in the HRT group were treated for cancer compared with 39 in the control group
- 10 women in the HRT group were treated for breast cancer compared with 17 in the control group.
- Eleven women in the HRT group were treated for stroke compared with 14 in the control group.
More top news
BT has been fined £42 million and is expected to pay £300 million in compensation to rivals over delayed high-speed cable installations.
Dozens of dogs have been flown to the US after they were rescued from a farm in South Korea where they were destined for human consumption.
Theresa May will vow to never let the UK become "looser and weaker" in a speech ahead of her meeting in Scotland with Nicola Sturgeon.