A BAE Systems source said the proposed merger was seen as an "opportunity" rather than an "absolute necessity" for the company.
The company has won a number of contracts this year, including:
- £149 million for Typhoon and Tornado support to the RAF
- £446 million for Typhoon support across other countries including Germany, Italy and Spain
- £116 million for production of aircraft fuselage assemblies
- £328 million for the design and development of the replacement Vanguard Class submarine
- £1.6 billion to supply aircrew training to the Royal Saudi Air Force