- Royal Bank of Scotland planned to sell 316 branches to Santander.
- That included 311 branches in England and Wales and five NatWest branches in Scotland.
- The deal was announced in August 2010 and was expected to be completed at the end of 2011.
- The sale had been ordered by the European Commission after a state rescue for RBS.
- Santander reportedly paid £1.65 billion for the RBS deal.
Thousands of workers are facing mounting uncertainty over their jobs after the collapse of a proposed sale of RBS branches to Santander.
The chief executive of the RBS said it was "disappointing" that a proposed sale of 316 branches to Santander had collapsed.
Royal Bank of Scotland's deal to sell branches to Spain's Santander has collapsed, with one source saying it is "a major blow".