- April 15, 1989: 94 Liverpool fans die in a crush against the steel terraces at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.
- April 19, 1989: The Sun newspaper publishes the headline 'The Truth' blaming drunken fans.
- August 1989: An interim report by Lord Justice Taylor criticises police for "failing to take effective control", police blamed fans for being "late and drunk".
- August 1990: Director of Public prosecutions finds insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges for any of the deaths.
- August 1991: Inquest returns verdict of accidental death, ruling all victims were dead by 3.15pm.
- April 2009: The Hillsborough Independent Panel is set up.
- October 2011: MPs agree to hand over all government papers to the panel.
- September 2012: Independent Panel delivers damning verdict.
More top news
Princess Charlotte will turn one tomorrow and to mark the occasion Kensington Palace has released a series of adorable photographs.
Twitter thinks Bob Hoskins is another of 2016's celebrity victims - but the actor actually died in 2014.
Turkish riot police used pepper spray against protesters who were attempting to defy a ban and march on Taksim Square to celebrate May Day.