- April 15, 1989: 94 Liverpool fans die in a crush against the steel terraces at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.
- April 19, 1989: The Sun newspaper publishes the headline 'The Truth' blaming drunken fans.
- August 1989: An interim report by Lord Justice Taylor criticises police for "failing to take effective control", police blamed fans for being "late and drunk".
- August 1990: Director of Public prosecutions finds insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges for any of the deaths.
- August 1991: Inquest returns verdict of accidental death, ruling all victims were dead by 3.15pm.
- April 2009: The Hillsborough Independent Panel is set up.
- October 2011: MPs agree to hand over all government papers to the panel.
- September 2012: Independent Panel delivers damning verdict.
More top news
Nina Nannar has an unforgettable encounter with the man who has run the Chanel couture house for more than 30 years.
This afternoon will remain fine and settled for central and western areas of Britain.
A paramedic left her own wedding to help her family following a car crash.