- April 15, 1989: 94 Liverpool fans die in a crush against the steel terraces at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.
- April 19, 1989: The Sun newspaper publishes the headline 'The Truth' blaming drunken fans.
- August 1989: An interim report by Lord Justice Taylor criticises police for "failing to take effective control", police blamed fans for being "late and drunk".
- August 1990: Director of Public prosecutions finds insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges for any of the deaths.
- August 1991: Inquest returns verdict of accidental death, ruling all victims were dead by 3.15pm.
- April 2009: The Hillsborough Independent Panel is set up.
- October 2011: MPs agree to hand over all government papers to the panel.
- September 2012: Independent Panel delivers damning verdict.
More top news
The mother of "bucket list" cancer patient Stephen Sutton has said signs of her son's illness were "ignored".
Boxing champion and occasional actor Mike Tyson has been praised for coming to the aid of a motorcyclist injured in a crash in Las Vegas.
A website is threatening the release of hacked nude pictures of Emma Watson, reportedly in response to her speech on gender equality.