- April 15, 1989: 94 Liverpool fans die in a crush against the steel terraces at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.
- April 19, 1989: The Sun newspaper publishes the headline 'The Truth' blaming drunken fans.
- August 1989: An interim report by Lord Justice Taylor criticises police for "failing to take effective control", police blamed fans for being "late and drunk".
- August 1990: Director of Public prosecutions finds insufficient evidence to bring criminal charges for any of the deaths.
- August 1991: Inquest returns verdict of accidental death, ruling all victims were dead by 3.15pm.
- April 2009: The Hillsborough Independent Panel is set up.
- October 2011: MPs agree to hand over all government papers to the panel.
- September 2012: Independent Panel delivers damning verdict.
More top news
Thousands of people have linked hands on Westminster Bridge in a show of solidarity - one week after the terror attack in the capital.
PC Keith Palmer, 48, stabbed by Khalid Masood while on duty in the grounds of the Palace of Westminster last Wednesday.
Engineering firm CH2M won the £170 million contract but have pulled out of phase two of the project over alleged conflicts of interest.