Restructuring of Ford's UK operations will see investment in a new diesel engine range at the Dagenham plant, which will mean:
- Combined engine output from Dagenham to remain around one million
- 2,000 high-value engineering/manufacturing jobs supported
- 3,500 engineering, design, admin and support jobs supported at Dunton
The Southampton Plant will end commercial vehicle production in July 2013:
- Currently employs around 500
- Has been operating single shift since 2009
- With annual production of under 30,000 – less than 50% plant utilisation
Ford has announced plans to close its plant in Southampton and downsize operations in Dagenham with risks to 1,400 jobs.
As politicians and pundits welcome the GDP figures, a reminder of how tricky this recovery is going to be emerges from the Ford plants.