- Only one in 10 people know that a persistent cough for three weeks or more could be a symptom of lung cancer.
- If caught early enough, lung cancer can be cured, with five-year survival rate being 80 per cent. If allowed to spread, that figure drops to 7 per cent.
- Around 41,000 people are diagnosed with lung cancer each year (23,000 men and 18,000 women).
- It kills almost 35,000 people each year- that is 96 people every day or one person every 15 minutes.
- The death toll from lung cancer is more than breast cancer, prostate cancer, bladder cancer and leukaemia combined.
- UK survival rates lag significantly behind UK other comparable EU countries - as well as Sweden, Denmark, Norway Australia and Canada
More top news
Street preacher, Krissoni Henderson, told the woman she would "burn in hell" because of her clothing.
A video showing the moment a carriage on the Smiler rollercoaster at Alton Towers crashed into an empty car has been shown in court.
Twin brothers with a rare genetic condition have defied the odds after becoming the UK's first twin transplant patients.