There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Great British Bake Off star Sue Perkins reveals she's been living with a brain tumour for eight years.
After a day where thousands of migrants tried to make their way to Germany, tonight they are sleeping on Budapest's streets.
After a bit of a nippy feel over night and an Autumnal feel into the morning.