There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Showers across Britain will make way for sunshine tomorrow before a milder end to the weekend, though heavy rain will return in the north.
George Clooney appeared in a special Downton Abbey as a host of stars came together to raise money for the ITV charity campaign Text Santa.
Events company Secret Cinema is planning to screen a film in protest at what they have called the 'censorship' of The Interview.