There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
A Cornish village fundraising to develop a community centre were helped out with a donation from an unlikely source - the Emir of Dubai.
Thursday will be an unsettled day across many northern areas with outbreaks of rain which could be heavy, accompanied by strong winds.
Apple has marked the 10th anniversary since the first iPhone went on sale.