There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Not a lot, writes Robert Moore - but 99 days into Trump's presidency there is still a manic atmosphere of hyper-partisanship in Washington.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the threat from Kim Jong-un's regime was the most pressing security issue in the world.
The safety of the plane was put at risk by distraction caused by monitoring the drones, a report into the incident has found.