There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Pet owners have been warned of the skin cancer risk to dogs and cats, amid predictions of a heatwave in the coming days.
Slippery customer was caught out by staff at the pet shop in Florida who confiscated the stolen trouser snake and called in police.
Death rates at UK hospitals are higher at weekends - compared to week days - because patients tend to be more unwell, a new study has shown.