There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
The NHS is failing to hit several key targets - with some areas worsening at the end of last year.
The divorce was granted in just 20 seconds at a hearing in central London on Thursday.
A Nigerian bread seller has landed a modelling contract after walking by chance in to shot during a photoshoot for pop star Tinie Tempah.