There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Police said they were closing the investigation into who sold the model and TV presenter the drugs which killed her.
Kids Company founder Camila Batmanghelidjh to leave the children's charity, blaming politicians 'ugly games' and austerity for her decision.
A prison officer - who was allegedly assaulted by a prisoner at a crown court - has died.