There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Edinburgh's poet laureate has offered some words of reconciliation as Scotland prepares to vote on independence in just two days' time.
Temperatures will be on the rise in the next few days, with highs of 25C in the sunshine by Thursday, but do not expect clear blue skies.
A woman who lost her fiance just before they were due to marry has created a moving tribute using the wedding dress she would have worn.