There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Tony Blair has said Leave campaigners are focusing on immigration "because they've lost comprehensively the debate on the economy".
NBA player Bryce Dejean-Jones has been shot dead after breaking into an apartment he believed to be his girlfriend's, according to police.
Nineteen people have been rescued from the English Channel after the inflatable boat they were in started taking on water.