There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
The mother of a missing RAF serviceman has hired a private investigator to help search for her son after raising thousands of pounds.
Dozens of potential suspects have been identified in connection with historical child sexual abuse allegations in football, police say.
Kirk Douglas, star of film classic Spartacus and one of Hollywood's last surviving Golden Age actors, has turned 100.