There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
South Korean tech giant says faulty batteries were the sole cause of the fires that caused it to pull the Galaxy Note 7 from the shelves.
Theresa May will is set to launch her new industrial strategy as she chairs her first regional cabinet meeting in the northwest.
Regional troops have secured the presidential palace in the Gambia's capital but there are fears the former leader has raided state coffers.