There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
Actor Robbie Coltrane was admitted to hospital last night while on a flight from London to Orlando.
Justin Bieber has posted a video online apologising for his "arrogant" and "conceited" behaviour in the past year.
More than a third of children in England are considered overweight, a new 20-year study suggests.