There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
On Monday afternoon, numerous Facebook posts claimed a silver Mini had been stolen from the town with a girl in it.
Top temperatures 10 Celsius (50F).
Britain and the European Commission reached agreement on a transition deal which will allow talks on the future trade relationship.