There are two main types of primary lung cancer, which behave and respond to treatment quite differently. They are:
- Small cell lung cancer is usually caused by smoking and it’s rare for someone who has never smoked to develop this type of lung cancer.
- Small cell lung cancer is often fast-growing and can spread quite quickly.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of lung cancer is often caused by smoking.
- Adenocarcinoma: This develops from the cells that produce phlegm in the lining of the airways.
- Large cell carcinoma: This gets its name from the large, rounded cells that are seen when they are examined under a microscope.
More top news
She described being told to lose weight at a "humiliating" nude line-up as more stars speak out after Harvey Weinstein scandal.
It is "unthinkable" that the UK will walk from Brexit talks without a deal at least covering security, Home Secretary Amber Rudd has said.
Ulster rugby stars Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding are to stand trial on charges of rape, a Belfast court has ruled.