- Rt Rev Welby's father was a businessman who traded in whisky during the prohibition years in America and then became an executive for a company that survived the alcohol ban by selling communion wine. He also knew the Kennedy family.
- His mother was Winston Churchill's private secretary. Rt Rev Welby is also related to Rab Butler, the former Conservative deputy prime minister.
- The 56-year-old and his wife Caroline have had six children. Their first born, seven-month-old Johanna, died in a car crash in France in 1983.
- He read law and history at Trinity College, Cambridge, before joining the oil industry. He was based in Paris and London, working on West African and North Sea projects.
- He became a group treasurer in a company called Enterprise Oil, before resigning in 1987 to train for the Anglican priesthood.
A new chapter in the history of the Church of England began today as Justin Welby was anointed leader of the divided congregation.
The Bishop of Durham will be officially unveiled as the new Archbishop of Canterbury today.
Justin Welby was working as an oil executive when he "heard God calling". He is now expected to be the next Archbishop of Canterbury.