The termination of G4S's contract to run the Wolds prison is another blow to the firm, following its failure to provide enough staff for the London Olympics:
- The Wolds is a category C training prison in east Yorkshire
- Holds up to 395 men
- Run by G4S since it opened in 1992
- Said to have "clear weaknesses" in HM Inspectorate of Prisons report in August
- Will return to the public sector at the end of the current contract in July 2013
- G4S shares were down 5% after the announcement
- G4S also failed in bids to land three other prison contracts
- However, the security firm still runs five other UK prisons
More top news
Thousands of pounds worth of heroin has been found stashed inside the covers of children's books at Heathrow Airport.
Internet search engine says Cilla Black was the subject of more online searches than Kim Kardashian this year, beaten only by Taylor Swift.
A supermarket price war and fierce competition across the rest of the high street has seen shop prices slumped by a record level last month.