The Director-General of the BBC has ordered the following actions:
- A senior news executive has been sent in to supervise tonight’s edition of Newsnight
- An apology will be carried in full on Newsnight tonight
- Ken MacQuarrie, Director BBC Scotland, will write an urgent report for the Director General covering what happened on this Newsnight investigation
- There will be an immediate pause in all Newsnight investigations to assess editorial robustness and supervision
- There will be an immediate suspension of all co-productions with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism across the BBC
Lord McAlpine will receive a payment of £185,000 after a settlement was reached with the BBC over false claims made in a Newsnight report.
George Entwistle will receive a 12-month salary after stepping down from the BBC, he is also reported to be entitled to his full pension.
BBC director general George Entwistle has fallen on his sword following the Newsnight child abuse scandal.