According to homless charity Shelter, the council will consider you homeless if:
- You have no home in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
- You have no home where you can live together with your immediate family.
- You can only stay where you are on a very temporary basis.
- You don't have permission to live where you are.
- You have been locked out of home and you aren't allowed back.
- You can't live at home because of violence or abuse or threats of violence or abuse, which are likely to be carried out against you or someone else in your household.
- It isn't reasonable for you to stay in your home for any reason (for example, if your home is in very poor condition).
- You can't afford to stay where you are.
- You live in a vehicle or boat and you have nowhere to put it.