- The average number of births per midwife has worsened recently and RCM estimate the UK is short of 5,150 full-time equivalent midwives
- More than a quarter of UK heads of midwifery told RCM that their budget has been cut in the last 12 months
- In a poll of 2,000 midwives, 89% said they did not feel able to give women all the care and support they need
- Newly-qualified midwives are struggling to find jobs and a third of new midwives are unemployed
- Of these, almost a half (47%) have been looking for a job for more than three months
More top news
The author, who explored feminist themes, was best known for her Earthsea books.
Jon Lansman denied reports that the group's supporters had drawn up a deselection hit-list of 50 centrists.
The film tells the story of a deaf girl who lives in a world of silence until a social worker teaches her the gift of communication.