- The average number of births per midwife has worsened recently and RCM estimate the UK is short of 5,150 full-time equivalent midwives
- More than a quarter of UK heads of midwifery told RCM that their budget has been cut in the last 12 months
- In a poll of 2,000 midwives, 89% said they did not feel able to give women all the care and support they need
- Newly-qualified midwives are struggling to find jobs and a third of new midwives are unemployed
- Of these, almost a half (47%) have been looking for a job for more than three months
More top news
A woman who had just arrived back at Manchester Airport after a holiday abroad was surprised with a flash mob - and a wedding proposal.
Former prime minister said he failed to predict chaos after toppling of dictator as he calls for UK to send in ground troops against Isis.
An investigation is underway into a series of malicious threats made to schools across the UK.