- The average number of births per midwife has worsened recently and RCM estimate the UK is short of 5,150 full-time equivalent midwives
- More than a quarter of UK heads of midwifery told RCM that their budget has been cut in the last 12 months
- In a poll of 2,000 midwives, 89% said they did not feel able to give women all the care and support they need
- Newly-qualified midwives are struggling to find jobs and a third of new midwives are unemployed
- Of these, almost a half (47%) have been looking for a job for more than three months
More top news
A newborn baby girl has been killed by dogs after they attacked her while she was lying on a sofa.
It is plausible to say we haven't had our last vote or say on the nature of Britain's relationship with the EU.
After Roy Hodgson's resignation following England's humiliating exit from Euro 2016, who are the leading contenders to replace him?