- The average number of births per midwife has worsened recently and RCM estimate the UK is short of 5,150 full-time equivalent midwives
- More than a quarter of UK heads of midwifery told RCM that their budget has been cut in the last 12 months
- In a poll of 2,000 midwives, 89% said they did not feel able to give women all the care and support they need
- Newly-qualified midwives are struggling to find jobs and a third of new midwives are unemployed
- Of these, almost a half (47%) have been looking for a job for more than three months
More top news
As a minute's silence in honour of the Manchester bomb victims ended, a spontaneous singalong of Oasis' Don't Look Back in Anger broke out.
Tomorrow it'll be hotting up again with strong sunshine and highs near 30C in places
The Labour leader will make a veiled criticism of Conservative-led administrations in a speech, four days after the deadly suicide blast.