- The average number of births per midwife has worsened recently and RCM estimate the UK is short of 5,150 full-time equivalent midwives
- More than a quarter of UK heads of midwifery told RCM that their budget has been cut in the last 12 months
- In a poll of 2,000 midwives, 89% said they did not feel able to give women all the care and support they need
- Newly-qualified midwives are struggling to find jobs and a third of new midwives are unemployed
- Of these, almost a half (47%) have been looking for a job for more than three months
More top news
Blazing sunshine with a chilly breeze
In a wide-ranging Peston on Sunday interview, he said Parliament security needs reviewing and the PM's counter-terror strategy is flawed.
The star celebrated his 70th birthday with his family before attending a celebrity-filled bash held in his honour.