- The average number of births per midwife has worsened recently and RCM estimate the UK is short of 5,150 full-time equivalent midwives
- More than a quarter of UK heads of midwifery told RCM that their budget has been cut in the last 12 months
- In a poll of 2,000 midwives, 89% said they did not feel able to give women all the care and support they need
- Newly-qualified midwives are struggling to find jobs and a third of new midwives are unemployed
- Of these, almost a half (47%) have been looking for a job for more than three months
More top news
Former Israeli president Shimon Peres dies, aged 93, following a stroke two weeks ago.
The eight foot bronze statue coincides with the 75th anniversary of Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise first appearing on stage together.
Britney Spears sung hits from all nine of her albums during her highly-anticipated appearance at the Apple Music Festival in London.