- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
Monica O'Connor and at least two other people were killed in the incident, and a British man remains missing.
Lively downpours across the south, Wales and Northern Ireland today - slow moving and intense with hail and thunder.
"The council's inspector judged there was an imminent health risk and an immediate voluntary closure of the takeaway was agreed."