- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
The partner of one of the 11 people killed in the Shoreham air crash said airshows have caused too many fatalities.
Erin Sandilands was told to apply more makeup, wear a skirt or put her hair down because "it's better for the punters".
Theresa May will make her pitch to lead the Conservative party today, 90 minutes before long-time favourite Boris Johnson.