- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
Irish police have seized £32 million worth of cannabis hidden in farm machinery on board a ship docking in Dublin.
Revellers reportedly jumped from the upper level of the lakeside venue to escape the flames.
A bomb blast reportedly struck a refugee camp in Syria near the border with Jordan causing injuries and deaths.