- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
The 83-year-old, best known for his role in the Oscar-winning film Doctor Zhivago is being cared for by his son, his agent said.
Two FA Cup final ticket will be blasted into space tomorrow, giving some lucky fans (or passing aliens) the chance to go to Wembley.
Two Danish radio hosts killed a rabbit with a bicycle pump live on air in a bid to highlight the "hypocrisy" of animal welfare campaigners.