- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
Patients are waiting hours in an accident and emergency department due to failings in care, a report into an under-fire trust has said.
A report into the care of people with learning disabilities has called for "immediate action" to protect patients.
A high number of people are fed-up with getting cold calls and want the government to do more to stop them.