- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
Cooling down after the hottest day of the year so far.
Controversial TV personality Katie Hopkins has been reported to Twitter by police over a "bad taste" poll on the Camber Sands victims.
Sadiq Khan has weighed in on the debate over the burkini being banned on some French beaches saying women should not be told what to wear.