- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
It doesn't feel particularly much like Christmas because it is pretty mild, but it is set to turn colder over the next few days.
Joe Cocker's most famous songs took him from the UK, to US and beyond and turned him into an international superstar.
A decade after their parents' deaths, entrepreneurs Rob and Paul Forkan celebrate the building of their first children's home in Sri Lanka.