- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
A special committee set up to deliberate on Ireland's abortion regime has called for the procedure to be allowed without restriction.
A conservationist was shot at her Kenyan ranch after herders invaded, officials said Sunday.
Five-year-old Balthazar weighs more than 15 stone - the same as a baby elephant.