- Antibiotics are losing their effectiveness at an increasing rate, the Department of Health have warned.
- There are very few new antibiotics in the development pipeline.
- Existing antibiotics should be used wisely in order to stay effective, the Department of Health have said.
- Many antibiotics are prescribed and used for mild infections when they don’t need to be.
- Colds and most coughs, sinusitis, earache and sore throats often get better without antibiotics.
More top news
Two bodies found in the Himalayas have been identified as Alex Lowe and David Bridges - 16 years after they went missing.
British troops have arrived in war-torn Somalia in a bid to tackle the threat from Islamists militants.
The first US cruise ship to Cuba for over 40 years has set sail from Miami.