Doncaster Council, which was at the centre of a child protection storm after two boys tortured and sexually humiliated two other youngsters, has admitted that "features of that systematic failure remain today".
The council made the comments ahead of the publication of two reports later which are expected to be highly critical of services in the South Yorkshire town.
The first was ordered by Secretary of State for Education Michael Gove in March following the publication of the full serious case review into the brutal attack on an 11-year-old and a nine-year-old by two brothers, aged 10 and 11, in Edlington, South Yorkshire, in 2009.
Mr Gove said this report into the background to the incident did not "meet his expectations", and that it showed the current system of serious case reviews was "failing".
He asked Lord Carlile "to carry out a further independent review of the issues and the action taken and improvements made".
The Carlile Report is due to be published this morning along with the latest report on child protection in Doncaster following an unannounced 10-day inspection last month by Ofsted.
More top news
After a horribly wet Bank Holiday for many of us - signs of a slow improvement as we slip our way into September!
An aide for a stop-Corbyn candidate says it's now a question of whether Corbyn can get above or below around 48% of first preference votes.
Real Madrid have criticised Manchester United's slowness in completing a deal for David De Gea on Monday.