The ABI survey, to coincide with the start of Road Safety Week, was conducted by YouGov, with 3,742 people polled.
The survey found:
- 76% agreed that there should be restrictions on young drivers after passing their driving test.
- 71% supported restricting the number of young passengers that newly qualified young drivers were allowed to carry.
- 57% agreed with a minimum 12-month learning period before taking the driving test to enable young drivers to gain more supervised practice.
- 60% supported changes to the driving test and the way in which it was conducted.
- 58% supported a restriction on night-time driving (11pm-4am) for newly qualified young drivers.
More top news
Singer Jamelia told ITV News Ukip "are knobs" as she arrived at tonight's Mobo Awards, saying they "want me to go home".
Canadian MPs have credited Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers with shooting a suspect during the attack on Ottawa's parliament buildings.
The unsettled weather will continue as rain falls across many parts of the UK tonight but temperatures will be a lot more mild than of late.