- As many 5,419 people were killed or seriously injured in accidents involving at least one young car driver last year.
- In 2011, 2,776 young people were killed or seriously injured on UK roads . Rural areas top the list of places that accidents are most likely to happen.
- The single biggest cause of accidental death of young people aged 15-24 is road accident.
- 40% of 17 year old males have an accident in their first six months of driving.
- One in eight drivers is under 25, but they account for a third of people who die on UK roads.
- 18-year-old driver is three times more likely to be involved in a crash than a 48 year-old driver.
More top news
Liverpool edged an epic penalty shootout to beat Middlesbrough and progress to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.
The world famous musical, which has been running on Broadway since 1997, has broken records earning more than £2.8 billion.
There will be wet weather around tonight with rain drifting from north to south which will lead to scattered showers tomorrow morning.