- As many 5,419 people were killed or seriously injured in accidents involving at least one young car driver last year.
- In 2011, 2,776 young people were killed or seriously injured on UK roads . Rural areas top the list of places that accidents are most likely to happen.
- The single biggest cause of accidental death of young people aged 15-24 is road accident.
- 40% of 17 year old males have an accident in their first six months of driving.
- One in eight drivers is under 25, but they account for a third of people who die on UK roads.
- 18-year-old driver is three times more likely to be involved in a crash than a 48 year-old driver.
More top news
The Saudis have dismissed reports that Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.
The European Space Agency spacecraft will take seven years to reach the planet closest to the sun.
The red carpet will be rolled out in Edinburgh on Friday for the Robert the Bruce biopic.