The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
Food imports to the war-ravaged country are at an all time low and its people are at risk of catastrophic hunger, according to the charity.
A "life-size" baby Jesus has been found by police after the doll was stolen from its crib in a church nativity scene.
A man who has been on the run from the FBI for 10 years has been jailed for sexually assaulting a teenage girl in a Lancashire park.