The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
A year-long US-led bombing campaign against Islamic State has left the group no weaker, American intelligence agencies have said.
Wembley Stadium hosts the women's FA Cup final for the first time this weekend when last season's beaten semi-finalists meet
Those embarking across the Channel should prepare for disruption due to the problems at Calais terminals and the impact of Operation Stack.