The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
Tory Chief Whip Michael Gove has taken time out from his schedule to claim second place in Westminster's Dog of the Year competition.
An airline safety video features orcs in oxygen masks, elves for flight attendants and epic battlefield scenes.
TV presenters Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan say they have made a formal complaint after their daughter received rape threats.