The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
A body has been found in Ireland in the search for one of the so-called Disappeared, 23-year-old Brendan Megraw killed in 1978.
The position, posted on the British Monarchy website, pays £16,000 a year for 20 hours a week.
The parents of missing 15-year-old Bristol schoolgirl who is believed to be heading to Syria have urged her to come home.