The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
Austerity and Brexit are dividing Britons and causing a "schism" in society, the Archbishop of Canterbury has warned.
A taxi driver has been suspended after inspectors found he was using a Costa Coffee lid as a fuel cap.
Days of government bombardment in rebel-held eastern Ghouta have now left more than 500 people dead, observers say.