The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
The final of the 'Big 6' energy firms to cut prices - EDF - has announced it is reducing gas tariffs by just 1.3%.
Memorial and Learning Centre to use digital technology to commemorate and educate about the Holocaust
ITV News returns to Bergen-Belsen with Bernard Levy, a Jewish British army officer who was only 19 years old when he liberated the camp.