The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
New plan for buyers to be notified when dangerous goods need to be recalled after reports of hundreds of fires caused by tumble dryers.
A junior doctor launches a scathing attack on Health Secretary saying: "Sc*** you Jeremy Hunt, you've picked a fight with the wrong crowd".
A British citizen was likely taken to China against his will in a 'serious breach' of a bilateral agreement with the UK, a report says.