The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
The Rt Rev Justin Welby has contrasted the "spirit of Grenfell" with the divisive political rows as he waded into the Brexit debate.
Countries across the developing world will continue to be given duty-free access to Britain for imports after Brexit, it has been confirmed.
Scores of villagers were caught up in the inferno as they gathered to collect leaking fuel from an overturned tanker that then exploded.