The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
Pollution claimed nine million lives in 2015, with air pollution from vehicles and factories accounting for 6.5m deaths, researchers found.
Donald Trump has given himself a "10 out of 10" for the response to the widespread hurricane devastation Puerto Rico suffered.
Police in Los Angeles have opened an investigation after another sexual assault allegation was made involving Harvey Weinstein.