The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
In celebration of Her Majesty's 89th birthday today, we look back on some of the most important moments of her life.
Jeremy Renner has joked that director Joss Whedon's task on The Avengers film set is like "herding kittens".
Monster hunters can now explore Loch Ness on Google Maps - but will you be able to spot Nessie?