The actions are set out in a progress report published as part of the Office of Fair Trading's compliance review of the payday lending sector. It highlights concerns about:
- The adequacy of checks made by some lenders on whether loans will be affordable for borrowers.
- The proportion of loans that are not repaid on time.
- The frequency with which some lenders roll over or refinance loans.
- The lack of forbearance shown by some lenders when borrowers get into financial difficulty.
- Debt collection practices.
More top news
A website is threatening the release of hacked nude pictures of Emma Watson, reportedly in response to her speech on gender equality.
A cold front is making its way south so tomorrow will start fresh and bright but through the afternoon the cloud cover will increase.
Hilary Mantel has defended her story which imagines the assassination of Margaret Thatcher in 1983 after its publication prompted an outcry.